PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ararat Results
Yesterday at 9:57 am by SANCHEZ

» Ararat Gift
Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:56 pm by timrosen35

» Multiple NAPS lead to anything?
Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:01 am by DDog

» Pro running right on track
Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:26 am by youngy

» Brighton Open Gift
Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:00 am by safrican

» Queanbeyan Gift overcomes small field and lower prizes, produces exciting final
Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:32 am by Admin

» Brighton (SAAL) HANDICAPS - 17th Dec 2017
Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:28 pm by Admin

» Brian Wilson rewarded for going the extra distance (PreBay Gift review)
Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:35 am by Admin

» Northcote Women’s winners handicap
Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:34 pm by FortySevenThirty

December 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Tassie gun, Tristan Thomas is back in the big time!

Tassie gun, Tristan Thomas is back in the big time!

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.themercury.com.au/article/2011/08/03/250475_sport-news.html

Sprinter at home in big time
By RICHARD WELSH
Hobart Mercury
August 03, 2011

TASMANIAN sprinter Tristan Thomas has been named in the Australian team for the World Championships in Athletics from August 27 to September 4.

Thomas joins the 4x400m relay team for the biggest sporting event in the world this year in Daegu, South Korea.

After an extended time off the track with an achilles injury, Thomas returned to racing in June, beginning with low-key meetings on the Gold Coast, then off to the big time in Europe two weeks ago.

A series of 400m flat races, resulted in a 46.53sec in Lucerne and a 46.63sec in Stockholm last Friday.

"It means more to make this team than any other, due to my injury set back," Thomas said.

The Aussie men's 4x400m team has been one of our strongest events at international level, since picking up silver at the 2004 Olympics.

Thomas was a part of the national team that won a bronze medal at the 2009 World Championships in Berlin.

"I'm so excited to be a part of this relay team," he said. "At the meet I was at in Sweden last week, I was surrounded by athletes like Usain Bolt and that is where I want to be in my sport.

"Having been out of running for over a year, then starting back, it's been sometimes difficult to deal with not having the artillery to do what I want.

"Now I have a heightened appreciation for how hard it is to get to the top ... I'm more determined to do the little things it takes to get there."

While Thomas's pet event is the 400m hurdles, his focus has been on flat 400m running since returning from injury.

"I had my first hurdles session of 2011 while I was in Europe last month, so I can do some specific training now I know my achilles is OK," he said. "I'm so driven to do more now. I don't want to just eat food with these guys, I want to race with them."

Joining Thomas in the 4x400m team are Steve Solomon, Ben Offereins, John Steffensen and Sean Wroe.

"I'm super excited to remain a member of that relay team. While individually it hasn't been a good year for any of us, we have all been building towards London which is what we all really want," he said.

"What's so exciting for me now is that I can go home and do all the things I need to do to contribute to relay, but now I can really put some blocks together to make next year the year I always wished for."

Sally Pearson (100m hurdles) and Mitchell Watt (long jump) will enter the world championships as gold medal favourites,

The team's other headliners include reigning world and Olympic pole vault champion Steve Hooker, defending world discus champion Dani Samuels and dual Beijing Olympics walking medallist Jared Tallent.

-- with AAP

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum