PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Mark O'Brien to discuss Handicapping Issues after AGM

Mark O'Brien to discuss Handicapping Issues after AGM

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Admin

Admin
Admin
From the VAL - http://www.val.org.au/Mark%20O'Brien%20forum%20post%20AGM.pdf

2nd August 2011
Mark O'Brien forum post AGM

Please note that after the completion of the AGM on Sunday 7th August, Mark O'Brien will be giving a talk to any interested runners and trainers in relation to the following.

• Handicapping panel format

• What has been implemented

• The move to 3 ticks and what has been achieved

• Other proposed changes

Approx start time for this meeting will be 1.30pm.

Note: meeting will start once the AGM finishes. Please meet in the Olympic Park VIP room, located in the main grandstand.

Please contact the VAL office by Friday 5th August if you are going to attend.

Victorian Athletic League Inc.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

youngy

Admin
Admin
This could be frustrating season for Mark O'Brien.

I'm not sure he will have the full support of the VAL Board. In my experience when some members of the VAL Board (or others who have an influence over some members of the Board) don't enjoy the success they crave and develop a personal beef with the handicapper, major fractures appear in relationships and it can get quite nasty and bitter.

Good luck to him, I think he's going to need it.

Ribera

Expert
Expert
Agree totally. He deserves full board support but is unlikely to get it. The sport needs Mark as even if you do not agree with his opinion, his observations/suggestions have been made with careful consideration and analysis. Strong stewarding is needed for the system to be a success.

In relation to whether a 2 or 3 tick system is better, Mark has described the 3 tick approach and that it slows the front of the race by stopping them from getting too far out under 2 ticks. Given that 81% of sprinters are non-established does that put the advantage in their court as the established runners are stopped from getting too far out? Does this therefore dis-advantage the 19% of established athletes that support the sport every week in favour of 81% of blow-ins?
I’m not sure of my own opinion but am probably leaning towards 2 ticks. Reason being that by stopping established runners getting out too far, this supports and encourages the non-established runners coming in and taking the big prizes? It would be better to offer an incentive for runners to become established and get an advantage. However, I can see the flipside that we want to encourage 81% of “others” to keep turning up. If the start handicap time is reduced then this allows the established runners to start further out which allows them better chance of picking up early races. Early races are highly advantaged to non-established runners or runners who already have their required handicap.

reality

This could be frustrating season for Mark O'Brien.

I'm not sure he will have the full support of the VAL Board. In my experience when some members of the VAL Board (or others who have an influence over some members of the Board) don't enjoy the success they crave and develop a personal beef with the handicapper, major fractures appear in relationships and it can get quite nasty and bitter.

Good luck to him, I think he's going to need it.

Im not sure how he needs the support other than to be appointed to the position. A handicap review panel, of which he is part of works to resolve handicap anomalies or requests for appeal. Right? Where does a boardman get involved? I dont believe he can in any place. The larger question might be, can MOB put this aside and concentrate on the job properly?

Given that Trusler or TOD dont want to be stewards their conflicts as officials don't exist. I take it their focus is on clubs, other operating issues and revenue raising with sponsors.

MOBs support can only be through his team of officials, starters and club operation teams.

I believe that I am suggesting that MOBs roles are mutually exclusive to the politics of the election for the AGM. If not then MOB may wish to reassess how he operates to focus on only his tasks. The runners and trainers deserve MOB to be focused on only himself and his job rather than the bitter squabbles all these forums are pushing!

reality

Some fools have been arguing over on the new forum.
Back and forth unable to see each others point of view, yet some pretty sensible stuff being said as well albeit through guest approaches.

Before Youngy removes this post as it adverts the new forum I wonder if the new forum will deliver a few things that the Bradley forum couldn't. Bradley seem to lose much interest recently, now wonder he is closing it down.

There has been word that Jim is very ill. Can anyone confirm?

Admin

Admin
Admin
Reality,

This new forum may have some robust discussion but there is no accountability if it gets out of control. No-one knows who the administrator is, who is running it or monitoring it if it goes feral.

They claim it is 'uncensored' which is an open invitation to the idiots & cyber bullies to malign, villify and insult whoever they want.

My guess is if the 'admin' gets villified, the post will be deleted in a flash.

btw, I've deleted the web address from your post. I'm not interested in giving it a free hit.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

RASCAL

from RAFF on another thread
I don't think that supporting MOB and the 2 tick system go hand in hand. I was strongly in favour of the 2 tick system over the 3 tick system, but that doesn't mean I'm anti MOB. The system is continually evolving and and softening in my feelings toward the 3 tick system. Time will tell if the 3 ticks and reducing the start time to 12.40 in the gift is the right way to go, but that doesn't mean I've ever been anti MOB.

The 3 tic system IS NOT as effective but hopefully lifts will still be applied sensibly to those who genuinely need it. We see too many young runners with decent pro runs who move out way too much.

Rumour

Monday night is the first VAL board meeting.
Handicapper is on the agenda. Sparks could fly?
Heard that at least 1 board member might not be still around on Tuesday.

botherd

Looks like py was right about other forum. Posts that dont paint moth buddies in the way they want getting deleted on new forum. Any post that bags the moths are not allowed to have their place? the forum is a joke

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum