PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » World Champs Team

World Champs Team

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 World Champs Team on Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:32 am

Admin

Admin
Admin
From the AA Website

Flame team announced for IAAF world championships
Athletics Australia have named a 47-strong Flame team for the IAAF world championships in Daegu (KOR), 27 August – 4 September, to be led by reigning world champions Steve Hooker and Dani Samuels, new national record holders Mitchell Watt and Sally Pearson, and dual Olympic medallist Jared Tallent.

Flame captain Hooker won pole vault gold at the 2009 IAAF world championships, in Berlin, with only one clearance. Entering the competition at 5.85m, Hooker watched Frenchman Romain Mesnil clear the height after he failed on his first attempt. He then raised and cleared the bar at 5.90m to record an emphatic victory.

Meanwhile Samuels pulled a lifetime best out of the bag in the penultimate round of the discus to take the world title with a heave of 65.44m at the tender age of 21.

Watt, who won bronze at the world championships in 2009, leapt to 8.54m (wind +1.7) in Stockholm (SWE) on Friday evening, which usurped Jai Taurima’s Australian record set back in 2000 at the Sydney Olympics. It demonstrated the 23-year-old’s dominance in the event this year, having posted all three of the world-lead jumps, and reaffirmed his position as favourite for gold in Daegu.

Pearson has been equally impressive in the 100m hurdles since making her Samsung Diamond League debut in Lausanne (SUI) in June. The Olympic silver medallist has won three Diamond League titles, the second of which, in Birmingham, included a new world-lead and Australian record of 12.48 (wind +0.7).

Another Flame athlete looking to turn Beijing success into global glory is Tallent, who won silver in the 50km and bronze in the 20km walk at the 2008 Olympics.

Dion Russell, Chairman of Selectors, said: “We are excited by this group of athletes who will be heading to Daegu. We have a solid mix of experienced major championship performers alongside a group of potential stars for whom we have the London Olympics, and beyond, in mind.

“In adherence with the selection policy we have made every effort to consider each individual athlete and subsequently made some additions to the team. These discretionary selections were made taking into account a number of factors that we believe will produce a performance result for Australia on the world stage.

“Building on recent world class performances we go into Daegu confident with the calibre of this team, as well as setting a strong foundation to build upon for London 2012 and beyond.”

Nick Moore, Athletics Australia Vice President, added: “The board is very happy to ratify the team the selectors have picked. We are very exited about the prospect of what this team could achieve at this major event.

“The selectors have done a fantastic job in reaching this point and we feel we are in a great position, a year out from the Olympics.”

The full selection policy guide is available by clicking here.

AUSTRALIAN FLAME TEAM:
MEN:
800m: Jeff Riseley (Vic)
1500m: Ryan Gregson (NSW), Jeff Riseley (Vic)
5000m: Collis Birmingham (Vic), Craig Mottram (Vic), Ben St Lawrence (NSW)
10000m: Ben St Lawrence (NSW)
Marathon: Jeff Hunt (NSW)
3000mSC: Youcef Abdi (NSW)
Pole vault: Steve Hooker (WA, Captain)
Long jump: Robbie Crowther (ACT), Fabrice Lapierre (NSW), Mitchell Watt (Qld)
Triple jump: Henry Frayne (Qld)
Discus throw: Benn Harradine (Vic)
Javelin: Jarrod Bannister (Vic)
20km walk: Luke Adams (ACT), Adam Rutter (ACT), Jared Tallent (ACT)
50km walk: Luke Adams (ACT), Nathan Deakes (ACT), Jared Tallent (ACT)
4x100m: Anthony Alozie (Vic), Matt Davies (Qld), Liam Gander (NSW), Isaac Ntiamoah (NSW), Aaron Rouge-Serret (Vic)
4x400m: Ben Offereins (WA), Steve Solomon (NSW), John Steffensen (NSW), Tristan Thomas (ACT), Sean Wroe (Vic)
400m T53: Richard Colman (Vic)

FEMALE:
100m: Sally Pearson (Qld)
1500m: Kaila McKnight (Vic)
10000m: Eloise Wellings (NSW)
100mH: Sally Pearson (Qld)
400mH: Lauren Boden (ACT)
Pole vault: Alana Boyd (WA)
Discus throw: Dani Samuels (NSW)
Javelin: Kim Mickle (WA)
20km walk: Regan Lamble (ACT), Claire Tallent (ACT)
4x100m: Melissa Breen (ACT), Hayley Butler (NSW), Sally Pearson (Qld), Charlotte van Veenendaal (Qld), Laura Whaler (NSW)
4x400m: Lauren Boden (ACT), Tamsyn Manou (Vic), Caitlin Pincott (NSW), Anneliese Rubie (NSW), Caitlin Sargent (Qld)
800m T53: Madison de Rozario (WA)

Last edited by Admin on Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:17 am; edited 3 times in total

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

2 Re: World Champs Team on Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:36 am

youngy

Admin
Admin
Well done to the selectors; great to see so many athletes given a chance to be part of the relay teams. In particular Laura Whaler and Charlotte van Veenendaal who were very unlucky not go to Dehli where they almost certainly would have won a Comm Games relay medal. Based on recent results neither are currently in PB shape but now they've definitely been confirmed, they will be determined to get in the four that steps on to the track for the heat.

Hayley Butler has been rewarded for her recent PB shape and adds an inform athlete to the team.

The women's 4 x 100m team should be aiming for a low 43s time.

Terrific perseverence from Liam Gander who has hung in there and while not in PB shape, he has continued to front up and present himself. Liam is a very good relay runner and no doubt his deft baton changing was a factor. Given the way most of the 4 x 100m boys are travelling at the moment, this team will struggle to break 39s, (they didn't break 39s in 2010) but if they can find something & get a time around the 38.7 range thery might be able to get a finals berth. Will take a huge run. The men's 4 x 100m (Alozie, Ross, Rouge-Serrett, Davies) were 9th fastest overall in Berlin with its best time of 38.93, missing the final by one spot. Brazil was the slowest qualifier for the final with 38.72.

Men's 4 x 400m team seems to find something for championships. Individually none of them are near PB shape, but collectively they always seem to lift for a relay. Not sure it can reproduce another a medal as it did in Berlin, but with guys like Offereins & Steffensen, anything can happen.

Women's 4 x 400m looks to be the weakest of the four relay teams and I can't see them getting beyond the heat. No Henry, P Steinert or Tauro who were part of the Commonwealth Games team (and sub 53s runners). And again, like the men, some seem to be a fair bit off PB shape, but the main thing is it puts valuable experience into girls like Sargent (19), Rubie (19) & Boden (23), who should be the core group of 400m relay runners for the next 4 years.

3 Re: World Champs Team on Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:35 am

youngy

Admin
Admin
Interesting discussion on the Track & Field News forum thread devoted to Australian athletics.

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/discussion/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34155&start=560

Feeling among the contributors (of which I'm not one) is that the women's 4 x 400m team is very lucky to have got selected. And the more you think of it, certainly when compared to the bizarre decision not to select a women's 4 x 100m team for the Commonwealth Games team, the decision seems difficult to justify.

The team qualified off the back of the Comm Games performance yet three of the girls in Dehli (Henry, Tauro & P Steinert) are now missing. Sally Pearson ran in the Dehli final (with three aforementioned girls) but with the women's 4 x 100m team entered for the World Champs, there's little chance Sally will run in the women's 4 x 400m team.

By comparison, Zoe Buckman is verey unlucky not to get a spot when you consider how competitive she has been in Europe (including a recent win over WC team member Kaila McKnight).

I must admit while I think they're very lucky as the selectors had every right (and reason) to drop the women's 4 x 400m from the team, I am pleased that we will be represented as it makes the events far more interesting when you have someone to support, it is just reward for the all of effort the girls have gone to and most importantly it encourages all of the talented 400m runners coming through (but unable to post an individual qualifying time) to look towards London and a spot on the 4 x 400m team.

They need to post a time in the top 16 to give a team a chance to qualify for London. Let's hope they do it.

4 Re: World Champs Team on Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:11 pm

Admin

Admin
Admin
AA Website

Australian relay teams ready for action in Daegu

World lead hurdler Sally Pearson, and Sean Wroe, who won a 400m bronze at the Summer Universiade overnight, will headline Australia’s relay teams when competition at the IAAF world championships in Daegu (KOR) gets underway next Saturday, August 27.

Combining with their teammates to ensure an Australian team is entered in all four events at the world championships for the first time since Paris (FRA) in 2003, the fast paced duo will line up with a further 17 Australian Flame athletes in both the men’s and women’s 4x100m and 4x400m events.

Guiding the women’s 4x100m relay team is Sharon Hannan, who this morning highlighted how well the team of Pearson, Melissa Breen, Laura Whaler, Charlotte Van Veenendaal and Hayley Butler are coming together in readiness for the sound of the start gun.

“Sally individually is coming along really nicely, we had a very, very good European campaign and she has arrived here after a solid, strong and consistent couple of months,” Hannan said.

“She has been struggling with a reduced volume of training, as have most of the relay team, but they’ll all see in a couple of weeks how that will benefit them.

“Hayley is obviously the newest addition to the squad and I couldn’t be happier with how her experienced and knowledgeable coach Penny Gillies has prepared her.

“She has gelled perfectly with the girls who are all happy and fit, the few niggles that we’ve seen have been managed perfectly by the medical team and all five girls are in top shape which is a credit to their training programs up to now.”

The women’s team is joined in the athlete village by the men’s 4x100m relay team of Anthony Alozie, Liam Gander, Isaac Ntiamoah, Matt Davies and Aaron Rouge-Serret. Hannan describes the layout as outstanding after spending near on a week in the facility already.

“The village is absolutely extraordinary, it’s first class,” Hannan continued.

“The food has been fantastic, the people are accommodating and helpful. Everything we’ve needed has been supplied and it’s just been great.

“The warm up track is hard and fast, Sally is loving it. Her eyes open with excitement when she finishes her sessions.”

Clocking 45.93, Wroe won Australia’s first track and field medal in Shenzhen (CHN) last night. Wroe’s performance was a second season best in as many days for the 24-year-old Victorian and adds a third Summer Universiade medal to his burgeoning trophy cabinet.

“These past few days have been really good for me, a couple of season bests and a medal is the ideal build up before the relays in Daegu,” Wroe said.

Wroe will be joined by all but one of the relay team that won bronze at the 2009 IAAF world championships in Berlin (GER) when he arrives in Daegu, with up and coming track star and 2011 national 400m champion Steven Solomon providing the new blood.

“The boys are really experienced relay runners, John (Steffensen) is a proven campaigner and so are Ben (Offereins) and Tristan (Thomas). Steve has a big future so it will be great to see him take that first step internationally with the Flame.

“I’m hoping that my confidence from here gives the boys a buzz, we are all pretty big characters and should get each other pumped up so we are capable of plenty.

“The 400m has been strange all year really, not many have run the 45.25 qualifier anywhere in the world so times across the board are slower than 2009 – we can make a final and from there who knows what could happen.”

Wroe’s teammates from the Summer Universiade Caitlin Sargent and Anneleise Rubie will join Lauren Boden, who will also compete in the women’s 400m hurdles, and Caitlin Pincott on the start line for the women’s 4x400m relay.

Sargent last night made the 400m final at the World University Games where she placed 7th in a time of 53.29, while Boden and Pincott have flown the Australian flag in the relay at the 2010 Commonwealth Games and 2009 IAAF world championships respectively.

IAAF world championships
Daegu (KOR)
August 27 – September 4, 2011

Thursday, September 1 (R1) & Friday, September 2 (final):
M 4x400m Relay: Ben Offereins (WA), Tristan Thomas (Tas), Steven Solomon (NSW), John Steffensen (NSW), Sean Wroe (Vic)

Friday, September 2 (R1) & Saturday, September 3 (final):
W 4x400m Relay: Lauren Boden (ACT), Caitlin Pincott (NSW), Anneliese Rubie (NSW), Caitlin Sargent (Qld)

Sunday, September 4 (R1 & final):
M 4x100m Relay: Anthony Alozie (Vic), Matt Davies (Qld), Liam Gander (NSW), Isaac Ntiamoah (NSW), Aaron Rouge-Serret (Vic).

W 4x100m Relay: Melissa Breen (ACT), Hayley Butler (NSW), Sally Pearson (Qld), Charlotte Van Veenendaal (Qld), Laura Whaler (NSW)

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/athletics/write-off-relay-team-at-your-peril-says-inform-butler-20110820-1j3kp.html

Hayley Butler

Write off relay team at your peril, says in-form Butler

David Sygall
Sydney Morning Herald
August 21, 2011

STATISTICS suggest they've got little hope but sprinter Hayley Butler believes her Sally Pearson-led Australian 4x100 metres relay team can cause a major upset at the World Championships, which start on Saturday.

''We're ranked about 16th in the 4x100, so it might look like we're not really a chance,'' Butler said from Daegu, South Korea. ''But I think once we're out there in the atmosphere of the stadium anything can happen. We've all been doing really well at training, so I think all of us are going to run really well. With relays, anything's possible.''

Butler is drawing inspiration from Pearson, who is her roommate in the athletes' village and has been a great source of support as Butler made her unlikely comeback to competition after giving birth to baby Cooper in 2009. Six months later she claimed the national 100 metres hurdles in Pearson's absence. She made the Commonwealth Games team last year - her first national team selection - but cruelly had to miss out after suffering stress fractures in her feet.

''When I made Commonwealth Games and World Championships, Sally was the first person to congratulate me,'' Butler said. ''She's lovely and supportive to me. Rooming together we've had a lot of laughs. She's very focused but also relaxed, so she's great to be around. I'm also rooming with Dani Samuels, so there's there world champions around me.''

Butler said she didn't anticipate returning to competition after having her baby. ''I remember saying to my husband Stephen 'I've got everything in my life','' she said.

''But athletics has always been so important to me and I think I need to give it one more shot. I don't want to have any regrets and I wanted to finish it off with a good go. But I never thought I could come back and make the next World Championships.''

It's a great effort after such a turbulent journey. Butler returned to running six months after having her baby, qualified for the Commonwealth Games in early 2010, got injured six weeks before the Games and pulled out but kept fit and started running against just five weeks ago. She ran a personal best of 11.72 for the 100 metres on the Gold Coast last month to secure her place on the team with Pearson, Laura Whaler, Charlotte Van Veenendaal and Melissa Breen.

6 Re: World Champs Team on Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:42 pm

Admin

Admin
Admin
AA Website

Hollingsworth wants five medals and a top ten team finish

Five medals and a top ten team finish is the expectation of the Flame team at the IAAF world championships in Daegu (KOR), according to Athletics Australia High Performance Manager and Australian Team Leader Eric Hollingsworth.

Those medal expectations come on the back of the two Australia won at the Summer Universaide in Shenzhen (CHN), which included gold from Lachlan Renshaw in the 800m last night. The Sydney-born athlete came from sixth place in the last 120m to claim the title in 1:46.36.

Sean Wroe won bronze in the 400m, and has brought his recent success with him into Daegu where he has joined 2009 bronze medal-winning teammates Ben Offereins, John Steffensen and Tristan Thomas. Steve Solomon is the newest member of that relay team for the 2011 championships.

Hollingsworth said: “Lachlan did very well, he’s been in good form all year and a win at such a championships is such a great feat, so congratulations to him.

“It was very good for Sean too, considering where he has been for the most part of the season, he has got himself a decent result there, and got himself another medal.

“All the guys are in now and are training well, they’re all fit and healthy so we are certainly going to get into the final and from there we are hopeful. The 4x400m boys are the defending bronze medallists, and there’s a bit of expectation on them.”

Mitchell Watt also won bronze in Berlin, while Steve Hooker and Dani Samuels won gold in the pole vault and discus throw respectively.

Hooker is the reigning world and Olympic champion, but has spent much of 2011 recovering from injury since defending his Commonwealth title in New Delhi (IND). Meanwhile Samuels dominated the domestic season in Australia, winning every competition, and has only failed to finish top three once this year.

Such is the health of Australian athletics at the moment, that as well as two defending champions, the Flame team is also attracting attention for two prospective medals from Sally Pearson and the aforementioned Watt.

Pearson and Watt, who have both recognised and accepted the expectation they are under, are both undefeated in the Samsung Diamond League. Pearson’s winning streak also stretches across the 2011 Australian season and includes the fastest 100m hurdles time in the world of 12.48, while Watt has the four biggest jumps in the world this year, including an Oceania and Australian record 8.54m leap from Stockholm (SWE).

Hollingsworth continued: “It’s always difficult to defend a title and from our point of view I wouldn’t suggest Steve and Dani are favourites for the gold medal at this stage. Sally and Mitch would be bigger title favourites, but Steve and Dani are champions so we certainly expect them to be up there.

“It’s good to have pressure on Sally and Mitch, and the team as a whole. I would rather that than having them coming in ranked 12th or 15th and maybe not performing, expectation is a good thing.

“We’ve got champions and we’re trying to build a culture where expectation is part of the process, so I’m very happy that they’re favourites.

“The other basic key performance indicator for us is to be inside the top ten as a nation, so we’ve got to get at least another 10 finalists alongside the five medals we’re looking for to get somewhere around 55 to 60 points.

“Dani, Steve, Mitch and Sally are the medal contenders and we certainly have some expectation from the walkers right across the board. We are hopeful for Fabrice (Lapierre) too, he was fourth in 2009 and is obviously really close to the mark.”

In the walks, Nathan Deakes is a former world champion, having won the 50km walk crown in 2007, while Jared Tallent won silver in the same event at the Beijing Olympics as well as bronze in the 20km walk.

Hollingsworth added: “I’m hoping the conditions are hot. The walkers have prepared correctly in their heat chambers. Jared is on the record as saying he prefers the heat, while Nathan seems to be in great shape. Some of his training has been right up there and he hasn’t walked like that for four or five years.

“Personally my dark horses are Jeff Riseley and Benn Harradine. If Jeff is thereabouts in the 1500m I really believe that he has enough in him to challenge, and Benn has the potential to throw around 66m plus which will certainly go close.”

For more information on the 2011 IAAF world championships including Australian Flame team information, athlete profiles, news and results, please visit athletics.com.au.

IAAF world championships
Daegu (KOR)
August 27 – September 4, 2011

The 2011 IAAF World Championships are LIVE on SBS TWO with daily highlights from 27 August – 5 September.

7 SBS TV Guide on Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:33 am

Admin

Admin
Admin
Coverage on SBS 2

DAY 1 – SATURDAY 27 AUGUST
Women’s Marathon LIVE 9:55am
Highlights 8:00pm
Day 1 Finals LIVE 9:00pm

DAY 2 – SUNDAY 28 AUGUST
Highlights 6:30pm
Day 2 Finals LIVE 7:25pm

DAY 3 – MONDAY 29 AUGUST
Highlights 7:00pm
Day 3 Finals LIVE 7:55pm

DAY 4 – TUESDAY 30 AUGUST
Day 4 Finals LIVE 7:55pm

DAY 5 – WEDNESDAY 31 AUGUST

DAY 6 – THURSDAY 1 SEPTEMBER
Day 6 Finals LIVE 8:00pm

DAY 7 – FRIDAY 2 SEPTEMBER
Day 7 Finals LIVE 8:00pm

DAY 8 – SATURDAY 3 SEPTEMBER
Day 8 Finals LIVE 8:00pm

DAY 9 – SUNDAY 4 SEPTEMBER
Men’s Marathon LIVE 9:55am
Day 9 Finals LIVE 8:00pm

MONDAY 5 SEPTEMBER

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1583120/latest-from-wire/

Gregson through to 1500m athletics semis

Source: AAP
SBS.com
30 August 2011

Ryan Gregson advanced to the 1500m semi-finals at the world athletics championships on Tuesday, but fellow Australian Jeff Riseley was eliminated in disappointing fashion.

Gregson, who has battled a calf injury during the European summer season, was eighth in the opening heat in a time of three minutes 40.01 seconds.

But as it turned out to be much the fastest of the three heats, the New South Welshman went through with ease to Thursday's semis with the ninth fastest time overall.

With his heat proving much slower, Riseley needed to finish in the top six automatic qualifying spots, but he failed to make any ground in the final straight and crossed the line seventh in 3:42.22.

It was a huge letdown for Riseley, who had been flagged as an outside medal hope in Daegu.

Kenyan Daniel Komen was the fastest qualifier in 3:38.54.

Admin

Admin
Admin
[http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news/local/sport/athletics/technical-tweak-pays-big-dividends-for-boden/2274514.aspx

Technical tweak pays big dividends for Boden

BY DAVID POLKINGHORNE, ATHLETICS
Canberra Times
30 Aug, 2011

Lauren Boden ran a season-best to advance to today's semi-finals of the women's 400m hurdles at the world championships in South Korea.
The Canberran came home in 55.78sec to finish fourth in her heat behind Jamaica's Kaliese Spencer, who clocked 54.93sec.

Boden put her performance down to a technical change she made in training last week.

''Everything went to plan,'' she told The Canberra Times from Daegu.

''My coach Matt Beckenham and I decided to change my stride pattern a bit last week. I managed to execute that exactly how I wanted and it was great to run a season's best race.''

They decided to take advantage of Boden's improved ''flat speed'' - her times over 400m without hurdles - and it's paid dividends.

''I heard a few people comment about the part of the race where they thought I was catching up to the other girls and that was right where we've changed it [my stride pattern],'' Boden said. ''It's obviously worked and knowing that for the semi-final tomorrow night hopefully I'll be able to go a bit faster.''

If she can better her PB of 55.25sec today she'll also set a qualifying time for next year's London Olympics.

''Every time I race I'm aiming for a PB so that would be amazing,'' Boden said. ''Not many people are able to run a PB at a major so that would be amazing to do that.''

Boden is also running in the women's 4x400m relay along with Caitlin Sargent, Anneliese Rubie and Caitlin Pincott on Friday.

They'll be without 800m specialist Tamsyn Manou, who withdrew from the team in the lead-up to Daegu.

She was unsure who would take Manou's place but was confident the four could get the job done.

The main goal is setting a fast time to help qualify the team for London 2012.

''Our reserve will be the reserve from the women's 4x100m relay, so whoever that ends up being will be the reserve that warms up with us on the day,'' Boden said. ''But I'm confident that the four 400m specialist girls will all be fine ... and we've shown that we're in good form.''

Australian discus thrower Benn Harradine qualified for today's final with a 63.49m throw yesterday.

Although Harradine won gold at last year's Commonwealth Games, this is the first time the 28-year-old has made it to the final of a global championship in an event historically dominated by the big boys from Europe.

''It was the hardest thing getting through the qualifying because after Berlin [the 2009 world titles where he was eliminated] you're always worried,'' he said.

''Even though you think you're stronger, it always plays on your mind a little bit.

''I've been training really well and now it's just a matter of going out there and smashing a few.''

10 Boden happy with her race but not so the time on Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:08 am

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news/local/sport/athletics/best-laid-plans-no-help-to-boden/2275828.aspx

Best laid plans no help to Boden

BY DAVID POLKINGHORNE, ATHLETICS
Canberra Times
31 Aug, 2011

Lauren Boden wasn't sure what to think about her run at the world championships last night - she wasn't happy with the time but she felt she'd run her race to plan.

After a strong start and run down the back straight, the Canberran finished seventh in her women's 400m hurdles semi-final in 56.68sec in Korea yesterday.

She was nearly a second slower than the time she recorded in her heat on Monday.

''I don't know how to describe it,'' Boden told The Canberra Times from Daegu.

''I'm not rapped with the time but the conditions are a bit deceptive out there.

''There's a strong head wind for the last 100m.

''I felt like I set the race up really well and was right in the mix with 100m to go ... and I saw the time and thought was I really that slow.

''But after talking to my coach Matty [Beckenham] some of the top girls struggled and didn't run as fast as I thought they would.''

One runner who didn't struggle was the winner of Boden's semi, America's Lashinda Demus.

Demus dominated the race and finished in a time of 53.82 after powering down the back straight to lead going into the final turn.

''I don't think she knows any other way to run but quick,'' Boden said. ''She'll be one to watch in the final.''

Boden will now concentrate on her recovery before getting ready for the women's 4x400m relay on Friday.

Meanwhile, Benn Harradine produced the best ever performance by an Australian male discus thrower on the global stage, finishing fifth at the world championships yesterday.

Harradine opened the final with an excellent throw of 64.43m and bettered it in the final round with 64.77m.

Robert Harting of Germany was a deserving winner of a second straight world title with a best effort of 68.97m.

The minor medals went to reigning Olympic champion Gerd Kanter of Estonia (66.95m) and Iran's Ehsan Hadadi (66.08m), putting Harradine in exalted company near the top of the leaderboard.

Australia has never produced a men's discus medallist at Olympic or world championships level, and no one has come closer than the 28-year-old Harradine did yesterday.

Fellow Australian Kaila McKnight was run out in the semis of the women's 1500m, finishing 10th in her heat in 4min10.83sec.

The only Australians in action today are Regan Lamble and Claire Tallent in the women's 20km walk final.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum